Saturday, June 24, 2006

My body is a non-negotiable demand.

When will I ever understand?
That patriotism is a prerogative of the penis
Subsumed in this brahminical India,
I am the mother, I am the cow
A four legged creature, with breasts.
Milked by men at their convenience.

Stay at home and nurture the womb,
And wait till they disagree over lines again
For I am the mother-land
The battle will be fought on my body

In the name of country,
I am raped by my own army.
In the name of struggle,
I am raped by my comrades.
In the name of family,
honour, dignity... izzat
I am raped by one and all...

For every movement, indeed,
Precludes movement on my body.
A battlefield for community lines.

It is your definition of my body that I fear
A repository of culture in me,
The honour between my legs.

Please! Let me be…
I do not want to be revered any longer
Neither as land, nor as mother.

My body is mine alone.
My body belongs to me.

Please!
Just
Let
Me
Be

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home